The case study also developed internal planning alternatives for the two houses in relation to the site orientation and the gardens.
1. No 16 is planned with the living space in the traditional location
at ground floor level and the bedrooms upstairs. This optimises
the relationship to the rear garden.
2. No 14 places living & dining at first floor level and the bedrooms
at ground floor level. This optimises internal sunlight and views
from the living space over Ranelagh Gardens to the Dublin
As built, these case study houses successfully resolve the potential problems of north facing rear gardens while bringing sunlight into the deep planned internal spaces on townhouse sites as well as achieving an A2BER.
1. Building Contractor: Jones Property Services, Maynooth
2. Structural Engineer: Waterman-Moylan, Dublin
3. Landscape Architect: Bernard Seymour, Dublin
4. Interior Design House 16: Michael O'Mara, Dublin